This document sets out the terms on which you may make use of the Civic University Network Members’ Area (the “Members’ Area”).
About the Civic University Network
Information about other parties
We work with a number of parties (“our Partners”, “the Partners”) to provide the Civic University Network and its functions:
- THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST OF ENGLAND, a statutory Higher Education Corporation with principal address at Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol BS16 1QY
- THE INSTITUTE FOR COMMUNITY STUDIES, (Charity Number 210622), with principal address at The Young Foundation, 18 Victoria Park Square, Bethnal Green, London, E2 9PF
- NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY, a statutory Higher Education Corporation with principal address at Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
- UNIVERSITY OF GLASGOW, a statutory Higher Education Corporation with principal address at University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ
- UNIVERSITY OF BIRMINGHAM, a statutory Higher Education Corporation with principal address at University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT
- QUEEN MARY UNIVERSITY OF LONDON, a statutory Higher Education Corporation with principal address at Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London, E1 4NS
Please refer to the Privacy Notice for the Members’ Area for details on how your personal information is processed and shared.
Information about the Members’ Area
The Members’ Area provides an online digital infrastructure for anyone with an interest in the Civic University agenda to network with others also interested in the Civic University agenda. It also enables you to view information provided by other users for you to be able to engage with each other. The Members’ Area also provides you with a platform to share resources and information and for you to access some of the functions and products of the Civic University Network. Anyone with an interest in the Civic University agenda can use the Members’ Area and any of its features that we may make available from time-to-time.
Accessing the Members’ Area
Access to the Members’ Area is permitted on a temporary basis only and we may without notice suspend, withdraw, or discontinue all or any part of the Members’ Area and/or the ability for you to access any account which you may have registered.
The Members’ Area is available exclusively to registered Members of the Civic University Network.
You can register to become a Member of the Civic University Network if you have an interest in the civic university agenda.
You may be asked to provide your reason for joining the Members’ Area when you register through the Registration Page.
The Members’ Area is only accessible if you have provided us with your contact details including a valid e-mail address using the registration page of the Members’ Area. If you have not provided us with a valid e-mail address, you are not permitted to access the Members’ Area, its content or sources.
We reserve the right to monitor your use of the Members’ Area and our associated infrastructure and services using user tracking and logging by various means (including cookies).
- refuse your further use of and/or access to the Members’ Area
- delete or disable your account (if applicable)
- remove and/or edit any of Your Content from the Members’ Area
It is your responsibility to ensure that you frequently update and revise your password to ensure that your account is secure and to log out of your account at the end of each session. If you know or suspect that anyone other than you are in possession of your log in details or password, and/or have accessed your account, you must notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any problems using the Members’ Area, you can contact us by e-mail at email@example.com. We will do our best to resolve your query, but we may not always be able to.
Depending on the nature of your query, we may need to refer to a third party who provides us with support for the Members’ Area. If this is necessary, we may provide them with information about you in accordance with our Privacy Notice.
Uploading content to the Members’ Area
When we refer to “Your Content” we mean any content created, developed or in any way added on or to the Members’ Area by you or through your password-protected account.
You must comply with the following standards. The standards apply to each part of any Your Content as well as to its whole.
Contributions must be accurate (where they state facts), genuinely held (where they state opinions) and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory of any person and/or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, defamatory, hateful or inflammatory.
- Promote sexually explicit material, promote violence and/or promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age.
- Infringe any copyright, database right, trade mark or other intellectual property of any other person.
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence.
- Advertise or promote any products or services.
- Promote any illegal activity and/or violate any local law, rules or regulations.
- Be likely to deceive any person, be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety and/or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person.
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person.
- Give the impression that they originate from us, if this is not the case.
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse
By uploading or otherwise adding Your Content to the Members’ Area, you grant to Sheffield Hallam University, free of charge, permission to use Your Content (including modifying and adapting it for operational and editorial reasons) in any media worldwide for the purposes of supporting universities in the UK with their civic approaches and activities. If you do not want Sheffield Hallam University to make use of Your Content, please do not upload or otherwise add any content to the Members’ Area.
Provided that Your Content is your original work, you will continue to own Your Content and copyright in Your Content will remain with you. The rights granted to Sheffield Hallam University to make use of Your Content are not exclusive, so you can continue to use the material in any way, including allowing others to use Your Content.
You are advised to keep a copy of all Your Content because Sheffield Hallam University cannot guarantee to return a copy of Your Content to you at any time.
If you consider that any responses or Materials do not meet any of the above standards, please notify us immediately by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confidentiality and Third Party Data
The Materials which you may have access to may contain information that is confidential and may contain personal data (e.g. names and contact details) and sensitive personal data relating to third parties or other users of the Members’ Area (“Third Party Data”). You must treat Third Party Data, the Materials and all other information and/or documents accessible to you on the Members’ Area as confidential and you must not disclose or permit disclosure or access to (in whole or in part) the content of such documents to any third party, unless you are required by law, a court of competent jurisdiction or any governmental or regulatory authority.
Use of the Members’ Area
In accessing any part of the Members’ Area (or uploading Your Content to the Members’ Area) you agree not to:
- use the Members’ Area in such a way that disrupts, interferes with or restricts the use of the Members’ Area by other users
- upload, display or transmit any information and/or materials through the Members’ Area which are false, offensive, defamatory, threatening, obscene, unlawful or which infringe or may infringe the rights of any other person anywhere in the world
- (a) impersonate any other user or person or use; (b) misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person, third party or entity; and (c) access or attempt to access another person’s user account
- reverse engineer, decompile, copy or adapt any software or other code or scripts forming part of the Members’ Area, or attempt to transmit to or via the Members’ Area any information that contains a virus, worm, trojan horse or other component that is harmful, disruptive or operates without the knowledge or permission of us or any user(s)
- use the Members’ Area in any way which may violate any local law, rules or regulations
- use the Members’ Area to upload or make available information which is confidential to someone else
- change, modify, delete, interfere with or misuse data contained on and entered by or relating to any third party user of the Members’ Area
If you have grounds to believe that any user is breaching or failing to comply with any of the above requirements, please notify us immediately by e-mail at email@example.com.
Information that you provide and access
You may be required to provide personal information when using Members’ Area, such as your name, address, job title, and other types of information outlined in the Privacy Notice.
Any information that you provide whilst accessing and using the Members’ Area must be true, complete and accurate. It is your responsibility to ensure you keep your personal information up to date to ensure that it is true, complete and accurate at all times. If you supply us with personal information through the Members’ Area, you consent to us using such personal data (including, for example, collecting, storing, sharing and destroying it) in accordance with our Privacy Notice.
You have various rights regarding your personal data including a right to ask us to provide you with personal data that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected – please refer to the Privacy Notice in this regard.
Limitations of liability
Any information or other material contained in the Members’ Area are made available strictly on the basis that you accept it on an ‘as is’ basis. We do not warrant that the Members’ Area will meet any requirements which you may have or that it, and any content or features on it, will always be available, error free, virus free or uninterrupted, and we do not warrant that the reliability, accuracy and completeness of any Materials or information that have been uploaded to the Members’ Area.
Where you upload information or material to the Members’ Area you warrant to us that you hold all appropriate permissions and intellectual property rights in doing so. Further you indemnify us against any and all claims made to us by third parties relating to your infringement or breach of intellectual property rights, copyright, database rights or trademark howsoever arising in relation to the information or material uploaded by you to the Members’ Area.
Where you rely on any information or other material contained in the Members’ Area (whether uploaded by us or third parties, and including Materials and responses), you do so entirely at your own risk and you accept that all warranties, conditions and undertakings, express or implied, whether by common law, statute, trade usage, course of dealings or otherwise in respect of the Members’ Area are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Subject to the first paragraph of this section, we will not be liable to you for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, the Members’ Area
- downloading, making copies and/or printing Materials
- use of the Materials once they have been downloaded, copied and/or printed
- use of or reliance on any content or information on the Members’ Area, including Materials, responses and content provided by other users of the Members’ Area and any other third parties
We have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
Owing to the nature of communications systems, we cannot guarantee that the Members’ Area will always be available to you. We exclude all liability whatsoever, to the fullest extent permitted by law, in respect of any loss or damage arising out of or in connection with any non-availability of the Members’ Area or any content or feature of the Members’ Area.
Third party links